Pages

Monday, March 07, 2005

Part 2 of my confessions

I went to see Jill Scott at Radio City on saturday night. I had wanted to write about the concert - it was absolutely fucking brilliant - the venue was beautiful and she sang the hell out her oeuvre. I've been listening to her ever since with a new appreciation for her music, but it's too late to really sum up how I felt about it - the moment has passed. Suffice it to say that I loved it and felt very affirmed afterwards. Her whole message about love and patience, how to love somebody and be independent enough to rely on them and give yourself to them, really resonates with me. She is so wise. And she's looking aight for a big girl. HOLLA!

She talked about the importance of honesty, and while I acknowledge that these paragraphs seem to suggest that I've gotten my fallopian tubes in a twist, it made me think of those other great thinkers, St. Augustine and Usher, both of whose confessions have been on my mind lately (apologies to any enraged grammarians out there). The idea of making an act of confession, declaring publicly what is true, requires such courage and humility at the same time: passion and repentence, an acknowledgement of doubt and a testament of progress. I want to find this kind of fearlessness, the ability to face the truth and your own failings in the hopes of getting better, leaving behind the secrets and the lies. This is my March 7 resolution.

In other news, I got into another law school. For those of you playing the home game, the record now stands: 3-3-2-2-3.

Oeuvre and out.

No comments: