Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Closure

You know, I’m not sure if I want to go the memorial on Saturday.

Really?

Yeah, I mean, I’ll go, I’m just not that excited about it. You know.

Huh.

See, I think the thing is that I’ve reached a point of closure in dealing with it for myself. And I know that going to the thing will kind of reopen a lot of that. I’m just not looking forward to that.

Ok, that’s fair. You don’t have to go, you know.

Oh, I know.

So why are you going?

Well, to pay my respects. And to support you, too.

You don’t have to do that if you’ve reached a point of closure. I know I’ve got your support.

I know, but still…

I mean, honestly, if it was your old girlfriend from high school, I wouldn’t go.

You wouldn’t go? Really?

I mean, she and I weren’t really—

You wouldn’t go?

I mean, I would go to support you, but otherwise no.

You just said you wouldn’t go.

No, I –

See, here’s the difference between you and me. I’m going to go to support you, even though it matters for nothing to you. Whereas if it was me, you, knowing how much I value all this symbolic support and shit, wouldn’t even go.

No, that’s not true at all.

It’s not all about you, you know. I also want to pay my respects to the family.

Well, that’s a reason to go then.

Yeah, it is. So I’m going.

Good.

But I still am not looking forward to it. I had closure.

No comments: