Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Make it happen

One of my goals for this year is to try to get a little more serious about writing.  In the summer of 2009 I took an online short story writing course, which I loved.  Over that period I wrote a story that I liked, and then just let it sit in a drawer for a long time.  I recently pulled it out, reread it, and was not horrified.  I took this as a good sign.  One of my goals for the year is to see this story published, somewhere -- so I've spent a lot of time in the last few weeks revising, rereading, and sending it off to top-notch publications in which it has absolutely no chance of appearing.  But hey, it's a place to start!  And why the heck not?

I'm reading a biography of Raymond Carver, and reading about how his first wife propped him up and how his work was rejected over and over again.  I have no chance of developing as a writer and trying to make something of it if I'm not putting myself out there -- so now I am trying to start.

I'm also trying to take another fiction workshop course through work this semester -- hopefully I can find a seat among all of the undergrads.  I will be amused if everyone else is writing about college kids, and my stories are about young married couples with babies, debating the move to the 'burbs. 

Anyways -- today was a crap day at work, and there is nothing on TV tonight, so I have been submitting the story to various places while "The Bachelor" yawps on the television.  It was not a good day today, and by the end of it I realized all I wanted to do was come home and give my kid a bath.  But sure enough, I felt a little better after that.

No comments: